How to Apply to the Online MBA program at SMU
Let Us Assist You
We have created a convenient checklist to make the process of applying to the SMU Online MBA program as streamlined as possible. However, if you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us through the Learn More button, email or by phone. We can answer any questions you have and even put you in touch with current Mustangs so you can get a true sense of the culture and community that make the Cox experience truly unique.
Key Dates & Deadlines
Future term dates and deadlines can be found on our Key Dates & Deadlines page.
What do you need to do to apply for the Online MBA?
- Online Application
- Professional Resume
- Official GMAT, GRE, or EA Test Scores from within the last five years. The GMAT program code for the SMU Online MBA is HWG-KN-27. We will grant test waivers on a case-by-case basis.
- Undergraduate Transcripts (Official transcripts are required only after the applicant has accepted admission to SMU Cox)
- Two Professional References
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Scores (International Applicants only). If you have worked in the US for at least 2 years or hold an undergraduate degree from a university where the primary instruction language was English, please ask us about a TOEFL/IELTS/PTE waiver
- Optional Statement
- Admissions interview (by invitation only)
SMU Cox reviews each candidate’s application on an individual basis. There is no minimum GRE, GMAT or Executive Assessment score required to apply. If you take the test more than once, we will reference your highest score. Scores for the GRE, GMAT and Executive Assessment are valid for five years from the date you took the test, with waivers available for qualified candidates.
|Executive Assessment||GMAT||GRE||Test Waiver|
|All Applicants||All Applicants||All Applicants||Qualified Applicants|
|90 Minutes||3 hrs, 30 mins||3 hrs, 45 mins||N/A|
|Integrated Reasoning||Integrated Reasoning||N/A|
|Pearson Vue||Pearson Vue||Educational Testing Services||N/A|
SMU proudly honors the service and sacrifice of our Military. Named among the top MBA Schools for Veterans, SMU Cox offers benefits programs and clubs available exclusively to Military members and their families:
As a current or former member of the military, you and your family members may be eligible for up to $15,000 per year for tuition assistance through SMU participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
Under the auspices of the Niemi Center, the Military Service Initiative at the George W. Bush Institute offers select members of the military the opportunity to earn a full fellowship. The awards encourage SMU Cox students to conduct world-changing research has they pursue their MBA.
The Veterans in Business Club
To members of the Military, the Veterans in Business Club provides unique networking opportunities. It grants you access to professional and personal support and introduces you to military friendly companies. We also hold regular events, exclusive to the military. Past events include: Carry the Load, Veterans Day Tailgates, Deloitte CORE Leadership Program, Veteran Clothing drives, and happy hours.
Prep Courses for Military Candidates
If you’re concern about the transition to academia, SMU Cox offers summer preparatory mini-courses in the more challenging core subjects of finance and statistics.
International MBA Candidates
- SMU Cox is proud of the diverse group of students we have representing dozens of countries around the world across our MBA programs. The Online MBA offers the flexibility for students to live anywhere in the world and still attend classes. The program currently has several students living and working abroad. Additionally, 29% of our student body was raised, educated or has worked outside of the US. 3
- SMU Cox has a strong international alumni network with presence in 30+ countries across globe and over 40,000 members strong. The Economist ranks our alumni network 25th in the world for global breadth and effectiveness.
3 Please note this isn’t the number of international students; this is the number of students raised, educated or with significant work experience outside of the US, including military exp.
Women at Cox
Our affiliation with the Forté Foundation offers all MBA women at Cox a jumpstart on their career search, a broad national network and scholarships for attending business school.
Women represent 39% of those currently enrolled in the Online MBA.